Wednesday, May 4, 2011

A Sideless Surcoat

And now we come to my last completed garment, my sideless surcoat.


This is probably the most appropriate outfit for me to be wearing with the hair style I have in my picture. I made up this in a few hours one day so that I'd have something 'nice' to wear. It only took 1.5 yards too! Or rather I was limited to the 1.5 yards of this fabric that I had available. I think I'm going to sew up a gothic fitted kirtle to wear as my standard layer under this. I have some woven silk fabric in mind for it in a deep red with black warp threads. It'll look dangerously regal, but the SCA doesn't have sumptuary laws for colors of garments.
If you want a better look at the fabric I used for this, look at the background I put up here! Thats the fabric I used. It's at least partially cotton, and likely 100% cotton, but it has a perfect look to it. Because I constructed this in a hurry, I used the sewing machine, but that allowed me to be super quick about it. I do need to go back and bind the inside seams, I left them unfinished to allow a little more ease over my hips and out of lack of time. This was also my first adventure in making bias tape, and even though it was a lot of work, I love the result. Bias tape is a dream to work with, it went around the curves of the arm holes like a dream. At some point I do need to take off the bias tape and re-apply it with hand stitches. I might adjust the shape to dip in narrower at the waist as well.

And now I'm at the end of my constructed garments. I think I'll give an update on my linen under-tunic next.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for posting this it was very helpful with a school project of mine. :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
I welcome your feedback and comments on my posts!