Wednesday, April 13, 2011

I haven't forgotten you, my dear blog

I haven't posted here in nearly a month! sigh
I just haven't made much progress on any crafting. Reading, yes, but not crafting. I guess after reading only about  three books in the past four years before I moved here my brain was starved. I have been hitting the books hard,  even if they are mostly mysteries/romances. To be fair, there have been a good number of non-fiction books that I've poured through as well.

My linen tunic is almost ready to be hemmed, something I hope to do in the next few days so that I can wear it this weekend. Because this weekend will be my first event of the season! Good thing no one saw the happy dance I did when everything fell into place for this, I think I might have gone and crawled under a rock out of embarrassment if anyone had seen me.

I have so much to do before this weekend, as I haven't really touched my old to-do list. This afternoon I did hoof it over to a resale shop and pick up some nice baskets to carry my stuff in. One is a nice little one with a linen liner already made for it, this one will house my sewing and embellishing kit. The other one is a large round one with a striped cotton lining. I think the larger one is made out of bamboo, but it looks better than a nylon duffel bag at any rate.

As far as things that absolutely need doing before the weekend, I absolutely need to:
  • Mend my wool over-tunic and check over my green cotton under-tunic
  • Finish sewing the trim onto my cape and finish the bottom edge
  • Mend my shoes
  • Make a favor, perhaps a tablet woven band
  • Make bread late Thursday or -early- Friday (I'm thinking of making a stuffed focaccia with fresh mozarella/parmesan/basil leaves, and perhaps a loaf of seeded rye as well. 
  • Filter a bit of my cordial and find a bottle for it
And some things I want to get done but aren't completely necessary:
  • Fashion a sideless surcoat out of my gold brocade
  • Make new herringbone blanket into a viking apron dress
  • Cut apart new silk pillowcases and make headcoverings from them
  • Make one of my muslins or a white sheet into a plain chemise (possible a laced fitted layer, in lieu of a modern bra or gothic fitted dress
  • Quickly machine sew my blue or green linen into an under-tunic to wear with the viking apron dress
I hate to think of machine sewing medieval clothing, but I'm short on time. I guess I can always pick out he machine stitches after this weekend and re-do the seams by hand. I just don't think my green cotton under-tunic will look alright with a viking apron dress, and my new oatmeal colored linen garment is too short for this fashion.Maybe I can even whip up a quick machine pieced gothic fitted dress?

This is what I mean by a gothic fitted dress:


1 comment:

Hi!
I welcome your feedback and comments on my posts!