Monday, April 25, 2011

Promised Pictures

Well, I borrowed a camera (a really really nice one with all kinds of shiny buttons and options menus!) and got some pictures of my outfits. The trouble is that I insisted on taking the pictures all by myself. This involved propping up the camera on a couple chair cushions and a binder on top of the table and using the timer. I was impatient with them too and only really took one take of each outfit.
I guess my main complaint is that the pictures are unflattering. I've gotten used to snapping lots of takes and coming out with some gems. But, without further delay, here is the start of my current garb pieces:

Please note that the hem isn't actually this uneven,
or maybe it is,
I guess I've changed bra cup sizes twice since I made this.
This is my basic layer. I made this my first freshman year at Michigan Technological University soon after I was introduced to SCA through the local branch, the Shire of Mistig Waetru. Since I was a starving college freshman I also had approximate budget of $10 including materials for an over-tunic layer. I went to the local wally world and bought 4 yards of mustard/golden yellow $1/yard cotton fabric, and a spool of thread. When I showed my shire my fabric the general consensus was that the color I had chosen made my coloring look absolutely sickly, so I threw my fabric into one of the dorm washers in the basement with a pack of greenish dye I bought for $1 on eBay and hoped for the best. The next day my fabric came out a beautiful sage green, albeit a little uneven (to this day if you look at my resulting tunic in the right sunlight you can see that one sleeve is a different shade than the body.) 
For construction I put my measurements into this Elizabethan smock generator, used the authentic pieced layout, and sewed it all together by hand using a running stitch with two back stitches every couple inches. The generator calls it an Elizabethan smock, but it is based on the timeless t-tunic, especially when I used a key-hole neck (circle with a 4-inch vertical slit in the front.)


Next up: My blue wool short tunic
(expect this posting tomorrow)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi!
I welcome your feedback and comments on my posts!