Tuesday, March 15, 2011

My under-tunic has decided to be Irish

I think my linen under-tunic has decided to masquerade as an Irish léine.At least an interpretation of a léine.
I've found pictures of this type of sleeve that people have been making a léine with:

Since my sleeves are much too long for my arms, I think the pleats will work great. 
I do feel a bit badly about making a garment without clear documentation. I'd hate to perpetuate a long line of unfounded conjectures. 
I think I'm going to go through with this, and my next wool purchase will be for a Shinrone Gown. The Shinrone gown is an extant wool gown found in an Irish bog near Shinrone, Co. Tipperary, in the 19th century. It has been dated to the latter part of the 16th century. It is currently held in Dublin at the National Museum of Ireland. 

 
So, my dear readers, have you any evidence that validates the pleating of léine sleeves? Would it be too much of an evil to wear this conjectured garment? 

5 comments:

  1. I have no idea about the sleeves. But, the Shinrone gown is lovely. You seem so excited about all your projects and possibilities. I hope some of your excitement rubs off on me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rather to my disappointment, Medieval Scotland (medievalscotland.org) doesn't have an article on the leine, just a note in the clothing section that there doesn't seem to be any evidence for the pleated sleeve idea. Apparently the way the very long sleeve was made manageable was to create a slit in the sleeve seam at about elbow level; you put your arm through that slit and the rest of the sleeve just hangs loose.

    Narrower sleeves that are longer than the arm do show up in the common 13th century women's gown/tunic. The extra length is pushed up to the elbow, which makes the sleeve flexible enough that it's easy to bend your elbow (it's hard to bend your elbow in a closely fitted sleeve).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Also, if you haven't discovered Reconstructing History yet (reconstructinghistory.com) I believe they have information on the Shinrone gown. I know a number of people have tried to reconstruct it; Googling should turn up some of those.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Respected friend:
    I _invented_ the pleat-sleeved leine. Before me, they'd handled the excess caused by making the sleeves too long with a drawstring up the arm, and I knew enough to know that was wrong. The pleats were my guess at a more reasonable cut.
    Unfortunately, I was wrong too. The correct cut is a long bag, rather like a round-bottomed Kimono sleeve. There is very little, if any, excess length in them.
    Sorry about that... Good luck.
    Alizaundre, Demoiselle de Brebeuf, COL SCA

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi
    Shinrone is in County Offaly, but very near the border of Tipperary.

    Leap Castle is somewhere I think you would love. The owner has refurbished the Castle and accepts visitors. It is about as medieval an experience as you're likely to find anywhere.

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
I welcome your feedback and comments on my posts!