Wednesday, March 9, 2011

No progress on the linen

I made up another muslin of the linen under-tunic last night.
Lets just say that there aren't any pictures.

I seriously thought I had more talent than this. I just keep making dumb mistakes, like not including enough ease for french seams. And trying to taper in the waist, without thinking about how I would fit it over my bust with no lacing opening. I think I just don't quite have enough fabric to do exactly what I want to do. Another half-yard and I'd have the perfect amount. I think I may just settle on making this a knee-length garment, in the style of men's tunics.

On another front,I have been researching more on the two Hans Holbein the Younger's paintings; "Lais of Corinth", and "Venus and Amor", painted 1524-1526.

HANS HOLBEIN - Venus and Amor, 1524


I have looked through countless databases of early 16th century portraits, but I have not been able to find very much evidence of this type of chest slashing. Holbein was visiting France during the time that these were painted. I was thinking perhaps he took inspiration from the clothing of the locality. I have found a different chest slashing in the portrait of Jeanne d'Halluin by Corneille de Lyon. She was a French Lady-in-Waiting to Catherine de Medici. 


CORNEILLE DE LYON - Jeanne d'Halluin, 1547-1557


I realize that both of the Holbein paintings are not actual portraits, and that they could very much have fantasy elements, but I would love to find contemporary evidence for this dress.

Does anyone know of any portraits that I could be missing?

1 comment:

  1. Hello! I know this was a while back, but I wanted to point out this portrait - "Herodias" by Cranach the Elder: http://c48743.r43.cf3.rackcdn.com/Images/2009_03/12/0021/90179/90179_ba17d600-2f3e-402d-80ae-b56b8e6ea509_-1_273.Jpeg Also, Susan Pevensie wears what I believe to be a dress inspired by the Holbein dress in Prince Caspian. See http://costumes.narniaweb.com/pc_pevensiesfiles/coronationsulu.jpg
    I've been thinking of making a version of this dress myself and have been researching it!

    ReplyDelete

Hi!
I welcome your feedback and comments on my posts!